Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Jonathan Cho's Message - Easter 2014: Redeemed

Redemption in Jesus’ Crucifixion
Luke 23: 26-56
Key Verse: Luke 23: 34 
“Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots”

The crucifixion paints a tragically beautiful picture of Jesus’ character of unconditional love, understanding, and compassion. It reveals the passion and the beauty displayed through his sacrifice on the cross. It captures a moment when Jesus fully displays his character before the people he loves. It gives the meaning of Jesus’ ministry and the cross, and most of all his forgiveness and sacrifice through his death. It also stresses that we ourselves must take the step to accept Christ’s forgiveness and death to fully be transformed and become born again as a Christian. At the same time, it’s important to remember how human Jesus was and how much he felt just like us, weak and vulnerable. Yet Jesus redeems us, and that is why this conference is about redemption.
        But what is redemption? When I think of redemption, I think of Chuckie Cheese’s. I used to go to Chuckie Cheese’s all the time, and whenever I played the games I always thought of getting tickets for the prizes on the wall. I would play the games for the white and green tickets all day and then redeem them by getting the prizes. To get the prizes though, I would always have to know how many tickets they cost before actually playing. Just like the prizes on the wall, Jesus gave his life to redeem our lives, to purchase our lives, from the grip of death. However instead of tickets, Jesus used his life to get the prize of our lives.  Redemption is about us first being, lost, flawed, imperfect and then this perfect God giving us his one and only son to buy us from our death and free us from our guilt. Through this message, let’s ponder what redemption really means through the crucifixion.

 Part 1: Jesus’ compassionate and sacrificial character verses 26-31
Before reflecting on the start of this passage, it is important to first reflect on what has happened to Jesus before his crucifixion. Jesus was flogged to a point where he was physically unrecognizable. Jesus, in his trial and flogging, remained virtually silent when given the offer to defend himself, only answering vaguely to Pilate’s question one time. His silence up to this point reveals how prepared he was to die, not defending himself against the harrowing accusations of the people he loved and provided for. I can’t imagine how broken his heart must have been at that moment. The people that he invested so much of his time into ended up giving him up for crucifixion; his heart break must have only increased when they decided to release Barrabbas, a hated criminal and a murderer, instead of him. Jesus was probably both physically exhausted and emotionally exhausted. However, Jesus remained the picture of silence, grace, and utter sacrifice. 
At the start of the passage, even in Jesus’ condition, he was still able to touch the life of Simon of Cyrene. After Simon was seized and made to carry the cross, him and his family later accepted Jesus and became influential Christians in the early church. Jesus’ silent and sacrificial suffering must have been so beautiful and so moving at that moment that a man who probably didn’t even get the chance to properly speak to Jesus was so moved that he and his entire family were changed. Jesus’ character of sacrifice is further exemplified in his address to the weeping women following him; he was able to totally ignore his own pain and see the pain of the women. He directed them first in verse 28, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children”, warning them and illustrating his concern for these people regardless of the burden he held. He knew of the pains that were to come upon them soon, detailing how they would feel in verses 29-30. A woman’s treasure of having a child would be robbed of them, so much so that they would desire that mountains would fall on them and that the hills cover them to hide both their shame and even stop their existence. This was foreshadowing the events that would soon to happen when Jersualem would be under siege and the women would eat their children in order to survive. Jesus felt a compassion for them and warned them of the coming times out of love. Even before his death, taking our burden of sin, Jesus was still focused on the people around him.

III.              Part 2: Jesus’ Crucifixion verses 32-43
It is noted that Jesus was being crucified with two criminals. Not only was Jesus wrongly accused, but he was grouped unfairly with murderers and criminals of the highest order. He was then placed in the middle, verse 33 noting that there were criminals surrounding him, “one on his right, the other on his left”. The rulers purposefully did so to shame Jesus even more, making it seem as if his actions were the most egregious of all the criminals. Along with this shame, Jesus also had to endure great pain. Crucifixion literally nails the feet and the hands to a cross and places the victims upright. Physically in this position, not only were the victims in terrible pain from being pierced in the body, they couldn’t even breathe without pulling themselves up, making their deaths slow, agonizing, and terrifying. Such pain caused a new word to be made since it could not be captured by any words that existed currently, this word is “excruciating”. Jesus was forced to then look upon the people that he had so loved and had apparently loved him watch it happen without so much as batting an eye. When I think about it in this way, I can feel my heart hurt. Can you imagine loving a person so much that you would cry for them when they made mistakes, teach them and heal them with all of your time, strength, and mind? Only then to only have that ripped away from you when this person turns on you and gives you the most utterly painful and gut-wrenching punishment to have ever been invented to this day? Even having one person do that to you, although I hope without the physical torture part, would destroy you completely. However, Jesus experienced this thousandfold when he saw many of his past followers watching him die on the cross without so much as a word of protest. I can’t imagine what he must have felt. It’s important to remember again that Jesus is human, he has the same emotions as us and has the same hardships as us. He is perfect, but he is not invincible. That’s what makes him so powerfully true to humankind. That’s why my heart breaks. However, despite this, right after Jesus has been crucified and is hanging on the cross, he says, and can we read it together, in verse 34: “Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.
I believe that there is great truth in that we do not know what we are doing. In high schools, I see everyday examples of how fallen man is without Jesus. Recently, a classmate of mine and two of his friends got into huge trouble selling and doing drugs. One of them, whom I have known from my freshman year, got arrested and expelled from school. The other got his car impounded. However, the last case is, to me at least, the most visibly tragic. This student had a full ride scholarship to the college of his choice, yet when he was caught there was a possibility and still is a possibility that the scholarship will be rescinded. At that moment his future was threatened. Not only would he be in debt if he didn’t receive the scholarship, future jobs and potential schools could easily disregard him for his criminal past. He was smart and capable, but he did not know what he was doing. He did not know what kind of consequences would come from his actions. Just like him and the Hebrew people who crucified him, before Christ we are in sin that’s cost is unfathomable to us. Even more so than legal consequences, these types of sins lead to eternal consequences, which is hell. Although most of us here are not as extreme as my example, we each have had our own failures and sins that have in some way brought us down. For me, pride has been often my downfall. My competitive spirit and the pride that came with it has brought me down when I was less than others or when I failed, and I have often tried to rely on my own strength regardless of my awareness that I should have first looked to Jesus rather than fallen to my pride. I was unaware of the error in my sin in the moment, yet through the guidance of often times my mother, I was reminded of the error and downfall of my pride. I think that without Jesus’ assurance of his forgiveness and how insignificant the world was in comparison, I would have fallen into despair like many of my classmates long ago. Looking beyond myself, everyday on the news there are mentions of murders, shootings, and stories that are seeded with sin. It has been that way since the first time someone wrote down a historical account. The holocaust, the two world wars, religious and racial genocides have all shown how ugly the world can be. So then why would a perfect God, clean, pure, and blameless, ever think of associating with ugly, sinful, hateful humans? However, of course within Jesus’ declaration he proclaims his forgiveness from these sins that we might not even know about or cannot overcome by our own strength.
 Not only is it a proclamation, it is Jesus’ plea to God to forgive us and give us his mercy; he didn’t beg out of duty. He genuinely felt the tragedy of mankind at that moment, and it overrode all of his human emotions, and he was compelled to ask God to forgive them. Redeemed. Redemption comes first when we are forgiven, but that part is so simple because we are forgiven the moment we declare our belief. It has already been done. He took upon himself my selfishness, greed, laziness, faults, errors, and mistakes in that moment when he interceded for all of mankind and asked God “forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing”. In our ignorance, Jesus took over and healed us, so very simply, and so very powerfully.
Yet at that moment, humanity showed again its ugly side. Right after Jesus’ plea to God in verse 34, it immediately says “And they divided up his clothes by casting lots”. These people felt no remorse, no compassion; they ignored him completely. Their greed overcame, illustrating again how desperately we need to be redeemed or else our ugliness will just keep showing. Then they went even further to mock Jesus saying “He saved others; let him save himself if he is God’s Messiah, the Chosen one”. If Jesus had been prideful at that moment, surely he could have had angels save him and destroy all of the mockers around him, but he didn’t. His job was not yet finished, and his love allowed him to wait till its glorious completion. Even the soldiers around him mocked him. Pilate had ordered a sign that said “This is the king of the Jews” to be placed above him, creating a deep irony of truth yet at the same time a light-handed mockery of his position. Then the criminal next to him insulted Jesus in verse 39, “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!” This man was most likely bitter against his own position, frustrated against the pain that he felt. Although we can pity him, then again this man probably ‘deserved’ such a punishment. Here Luke paints an important picture of the Christian decision. First, we are forgiven. It’s simple, easy, and we don’t have to do anything. But, then the criminals complete the imagery of what happens to those who reject such forgiveness and those who accept. A light of hope for humanity appears when the other criminal rebukes his fellow criminal, saying in verse 40-41 “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve, But this man has done nothing wrong” In other gospels, this man was described as a robber. He must have stolen something fairly large to have been crucified. Circumstances in his life probably led him to this point. Perhaps a bad family life led to hitting the streets, stealing a thing or two from the local lamb vendors, probably getting him into more and more trouble. Maybe when he was stealing, he ended up accidentally killing a man in the process. Maybe he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whatever it was, this robber felt deep and genuine remorse. He felt the weight of his errors and his sins, and I think he earnestly repented of them when he acknowledged that he deserved the punishment he was receiving. Despite his terrible sin, he was completely accepted. Let’s read what Jesus said to this criminal in verse 43 “Jesus answered him “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise”. IN the last minutes of this man’s life, his utterance of repentance and acceptance of Jesus immediately granted him entrance into paradise. This is Jesus’ redemption; Jesus completely redeemed this man from his guilt, agony, and death. This man must have at this moment felt so free. Again, that’s powerfully beautiful. In this world, struggle seems to be the epitome of life. From day one, I have struggled in school to do my best, struggled to win the love of my friends, struggled to fit in, struggled to maintain my own identity as a Christian in the midst of temptation and trial. However, through Jesus we don’t have to struggle. In our hearts, all we say is “yes Jesus you are my Lord and you are my Savior”. Like I said, although we should struggle to maintain our identity as Christians, once we have accepted all we have to do is believe and we are saved. All sin then washes away, and we are wiped clean. How simply profound. When I fail, which I often do, whether to temptation or laziness, or both, it only takes a prayer to God and peace comes to me. No matter what I do. The peace I feel is redemptive and empowering. It only takes a prayer, a talk to God, an affirmation of who he is to me. Although again I fail even after this, it does not matter as long as I repent and recognize my own error. There is no condemnation in sin for Jesus has already died for us. He has died for me, and he has died for you.

 Part 3: Transformation in Christ, Verses 44-56  
Jesus’ death changed the laws of nature by causing a darkness to come over the whole land at noon. For about 3 hours the world was covered in darkness. This means Jesus mostly likely endured this great pain for about 3-4 hours, not including the pain from his flogging before. Then suddenly, seen in verse 45, the curtain of the temple was torn in two. This is symbolic of God opening his dwelling place through Jesus’ death and sacrifice to all people’s, not only the select priests and people chosen to go in and dwell with God. Jesus is not selective, he is not picky. He opens his heart and forgiveness to all types of people. At that moment, he took on the sin of the world and was cut off from God. He then died, crying out “Father into your hands I commit my spirit”. He then breathed his last. Luke is unique in this sense. Rather than ending painfully or centering it only on Jesus himself, his entire account, from beginning to end, always remains about the people he intercedes for. The daughters of Jerusalem, the people who crucified him, the criminals, etc. In the end it remains about his mission and not about himself. It’s hard to imagine how much Jesus suffered for us. It takes a deep meditation and study to even partially comprehend it, but it is impossible to fully do so for he suffered willingly and knowingly. He made no protest but did it all in his will. This must have been evident because moments later a Roman centurion, a man with no understanding of God, praised him and said “Surely this was a righteous man”. Here Jesus causes transformations; this soldier may have been one of them who mocked him and cast lots. But suddenly he was changed, a new man. All those who saw “beat their breasts and went away”. There was no victory for them in Jesus’ death. In the end, only Jesus can overcome the power of death.
Transformation always occurs powerfully when accepting Jesus Christ. A member of the council who had not consented to their decision and action, named Joseph of Arimathea, stepped forward to ask for Jesus’ body. Although Luke does not touch upon it for a long time, this man who was unable to do anything to stop the injustices against Jesus was now able to build up his courage to ask Pilate himself for Jesus’ body. He even gave up his own tomb that he made for himself to Jesus, giving him the proper reverence that he deserved. To this day, people are being transformed from their own tragic and defeated past to a new and redeemed life. All it takes is acceptance of Jesus Christ’s death on the cross for us. (I have witnessed such transformation myself. Some of you may have or may have not heard of this, but I very personally witnessed Joseph Horvath’s transformation from a man very much lost to a man who found his own purpose and self. Before Joseph accepted Christ, I remember that he was depressed, pale, struggling, and very much confused. He talked about counseling, taking medicine, etc. Yet just months later at the HBF Easter Conference, he was totally changed. The next week he was completely full of Christ, talking about him, reading about him, learning about him. He was freed, so much so that he wanted to speak of it all the time. He was very much a new man. That’s the power of accepting Christ, changing a man from defeated to triumphant.)
For me, I have heard story after story of people accepting Christ in a whirlwind of emotions and tears from the moment I attended my first UBF conference. Always I heard of some kind of sudden shift in someone’s life where everything changed for them and their eyes were opened. Even in the bible, characters always seem to have pivotal moments when they suddenly attain a new life direction and have purpose in God. I have always wanted that seemingly simple but massive change. I’ve always wanted that moment where I broke down and cried to God and completely repented of my sins. However, this sudden change never came. There were moments when I felt close, but I never felt that huge paradigm shift that occurs so often in stories of Christians. I’ve always wanted that moment where the world suddenly changed and along with it me. Through this desire, I began to question myself. I asked myself, what is being saved? Am I saved? How is one really saved? I knew that I believed: I knew that I loved God: I knew that I wanted to know Jesus so personally that I would break down in tears. Then why did I seem so different? Doubt crept into my heart, and honestly it does to this day. It seemed so complex all of a sudden. Salvation seemed like a huge puzzle that was waiting for me to solve, and I just seemed to be missing that one piece of the puzzle. I believe that doubt was sowed by Satan, attempting to move me away from struggling for Christ. However, this passage changed my own perception. Redemption is not something that comes from my effort. It first comes from Jesus and his death on the cross. The only thing I need to do is accept it. Acceptance is not always easy. Especially in my own generation, there is a tendency to question every move that doesn’t seem to be backed up by some logical reason. However, over time I have come to learn that logic is never the final answer. Often times I have to reach beyond what I can see and to simply accept truths to fully find an answer. Faith is the greatest boundary breaker to any obstacles that separate man from achieving greater truths. All I need is to take, even daily, that one step towards saying, “Jesus, you died for my sins” and truly believe it. That belief in the simplicity of the gospel truth is what the crucifixion screams to me. That’s the only step that we need to take. Although it’s a struggle, I know now to forget any preconceived notion of what I see around me but rather take Jesus as my own and take him in my own way. Something that I remembered that encouraged me was I remembered Anna Toh talking about her sister’s experience of accepting Christ. Although Anna had that emotional moment that I talked about, she mentioned that her sister over time gradually found herself in Christ throughout her life. God can easily come in a gentle whisper just as he comes as earthquakes and fires, as Elijah found out in his own time. God is very personal and there is no one way to meet him personally.  To me, I think God is like that gentle whisper. I can feel myself growing in him, and although I don’t know if I’ll ever have that moment I have desired, I am sure in his promise and sacrifice that I am redeemed. I do not need that moment to be assured of his death on the cross for me and my own belief in him.    Now then, I want to ask you, what does redemption mean to you? Do you believe that you are truly redeemed? Are you able to say truly that you have accepted Christ? I think those are the questions that are so very important to answer and to struggle to find an answer. I earnestly pray that you can, perhaps even through this conference, find your own way to personally accept Christ and find redemption in Christ. Let’s pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment