Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Jaewon Lee Easter 2017 Message


HE HAS RISEN!
Lk 24:1-35
Lk 24:6a He is not here; he has risen!


This passage, Luke chapter 24, is about the empty tomb, the missing body, and the appearance of the risen Christ. Apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15, "If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins." And according to theologian Gerald O'Collins, "Christianity without the resurrection is not simply Christianity without its final chapter. It is not Christianity at all." (Gerald O'Collins, The Easter Jesus, 134) Why is this resurrection crucial to our lives as followers of Jesus and how does this ancient text apply to modern believers? I pray that answers to these questions may be plainly explained to us through this passage and this Easter Bible Conference, and that we may all share the resurrection faith and become witnesses to the risen Christ to the ends of the earth.

[PART ONE] He has risen! (v.1-8)
As soon as Sabbath rest ended, the women went to the tomb to anoint Jesus' body.(1) Earlier, Jesus had cured Mary Magdalene and Joanna of evil spirits and diseases.(Lk 8:2) And the other Mary was Jesus' mother. Their earnest love for Jesus and deep sorrow at his death led them to the tomb although they also wondered how they would be able to enter it. In Mark's gospel, they said to each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?" But to their surprise, the stone had already been put aside, and the body of Jesus was absent from the tomb.(2-3) While all different scenarios were running through their heads, two angels stood by them and said, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!"(5b-6a) The angels told this astonishing news too plainly, unfazed. The angels continued, "Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 'The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.'"(6b-7) They were right; it should not be a surprise, because Jesus had said that he would die and rise from the dead, and he did just that! By swallowing up death(Isa 25:8), Jesus crushed the head of Satan(Gen 3:15), our most potent adversary. Now Satan has no claim on us. Grief, anger, anxiety, insecurity, and everything rooted in death has been overcome. We are given new birth into a living hope and into a heavenly inheritance through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.(1Pe 1:3-4) These are given to us when we believe, as the women did. Complete peace and joy from unity with God surges in our hearts. How joyful were the women? They hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell the disciples.(Mat 28)


[PART TWO] What holds you back? (v.9-24)
In contrast to the women’s gleeful tidings, the disciples hardly showed any reciprocation. Verse 11 says, “But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense.” To the disciples, who were eyewitnesses of Jesus’ crucifixion, it was evident that no one could survive the brutality of the punishment. And it was nonsensical to say that the stone was rolled away and the body was absent from the tomb which was supposed to be tightly guarded by Roman soldiers. But Peter got up and ran to the tomb, and found it empty.(12) In his gospel account, John says that he was there with Peter.(Jn 20:2-3) Now the women’s testimony gained more authenticity, confirmed by two male disciples, who were thought to be more reliable back then. But still, disciples seem to reject the truth. That same day two of them were fleeing from Jerusalem to Emmaus out of fear and confusion.(13) Jesus came along and walked with them, but they did not even recognize him.(16) Why were they "so foolish" and "slow to believe" his resurrection?(25) The reason is found in their conversation with Jesus. Their hope for the resurgence of Israel led by powerful prophet Jesus was now torn apart.(20,21) Their hopeless grip on this abortive hope is blocking them from knowing the truth. In verses 23-24, they said, "[The women] didn't find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.” They perceived the empty tomb and the missing corpse from their companions’ report, but not the risen Messiah. Likewise, this miraculous event that happened in a different continent on the globe almost two millennia ago does not seem to make connection to our lives. It sounds more sensible to say there is no resurrection than to say Jesus is alive today. And more often, our sights are blurred by different causes or feelings that ultimately lead us to death as the two disciples were trapped in their human expectation. The power of death has expertise in camouflage; it mingles with our lives so naturally that most of the time we are unaware that it is blocking us from having the resurrection hope, the true living hope. Whether subtle ups and downs of life or the greatest virtue of the age, it makes our spirit writhe in pain as long as it has stronger claim to our minds than Jesus' resurrection.


[PART THREE] Listen to Jesus! (v.25-35)
Then how do we remedy this piteous situation? What did Jesus do? He taught the Bible to them. In verse 27, Jesus went over the entire Scripture with the two disciples in the light of his suffering and resurrection. Later, after Jesus was recognized by them, they said, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"(32) Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.(Ro 10:17) God's word has power in it; it is alive among us today. No matter how abject the darkness we are going through is, his word is powerful enough to kindle the light of truth in our hearts so that we may see the risen Christ with faith. Jesus' work does not end with rising from the dead; he is still alive and is eager to come to us and help us believe his victory. After the Bible study with Jesus, the disciples' eyes were opened as he broke a loaf of bread.(31) When they began to see who he was, their hearts were reshaped and were filled with exhilaration. Now they turned their way back to Jerusalem, from which they were initially running away gripped with dread and dismay. When they arrived where the Eleven were to share this great news, pieces were put together. "It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon!"(34)


[4] Personal testimony
I was also under the reign of darkness. When my mother died, I got a fissure, which could not be closed by any means. It meant that I would have to either jump over or fall into it while others walked on the level ground. Strife against emotional detachment, people's stigma about a motherless child, and insecurity of my future were looming over me. At my mom's funeral, one relative said to my grandma, "Now you have to be stronger than anybody. Otherwise, who will take care of those young kids?" I overheard the conversation and thought, "No, I have to be stronger." I had to have a "grieving process" according to some psychological theories, but my mind was already busy enough fighting with outward adversities. My academic achievements and outlook for success comforted me, but darkness deepened as it burrowed into the drape of outward pride and excellence. Then I went to high school, where I began to see that everyone had already been racing toward a sole objective of "entering a good college," even at the cost of morality, wholesomeness, and moderation. My inability to catch up with this heated competition was another source of deprivation from the beginning. The burden was aggravated as I took on more academic load in coming years. I had been striding twice as fast as others to overcome the big crevasse, but now I had to move at an impossibly challenging pace. My dad's remarriage, financial problems, and distrust among my family members were additional pressure on me. All the glories I had enjoyed faded away, and the previously overlooked necessity of "grieving process" came along, together with anger and brokenness. I cried every day and held everything against God and people around me, while I tried to give myself another meaning of life. But the more I squirmed to escape, the power of sin dragged me down even more. Last week I asked my Mom about how I was at that time. She said, "You came home and said you would stay up late studying, but you always cried until one in the morning, went to bed when you were exhausted from crying, and got up at six. I wondered if you were getting any sleep. That was how the evening went every day." I am certain that you who have seen me for the last seven months know that I am not like this anymore. You are witnesses of God's great work in my life. These are the verses he gave me then. 2 Co 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." My effort to fight my way through to the top was not effectual, but God used this weakness to humble me and help me wait for his deliverance. Zep 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing." And the greatest of the great mercy was that God himself loved me and was with me to the extent that he sacrificed his Son Jesus. Grievance against God and man, and ultimately the power of death, were gradually washed away with the blood of Christ and the tears I shed before his cross. But still, the darkness was not purged completely as the two disciples could not abandon their dead hope on the basis of their narrow understanding. I was overwhelmed by a deluge of confusion and instability in a new society I stepped into last year. In order not to be swept by the gush, I grasped at my dead hope in myself which was not weeded out completely. It was easy to go back to the old idol, but the consequence was complete voidness and heavy burden on my spirit. But as I meditated on this passage over last month, Jesus visited me as he did the two heavyhearted disciples. I was washing the dishes one afternoon, my soul being tired from bemoaning many unsatisfactory things. Jesus asked me, "What did I do for you? Didn't I die on the cross bearing all your sin and rise to give you eternal life?" I could not but repent of my unbelief and I cried, holding the dishes. Again it was God's grace that I was given the living hope through Jesus' resurrection and that God did not let me lose this hope. And I believe the same is with my Korean mother. Now I use my time, energy, and talent to work out my salvation, to glorify my Lord with everything I can offer, to love my Lord with all my strength, heart, and soul, and grow as his disciple who proclaims this great news to others, not to selfishly adorn my own life or to compensate for irreversible loss. I praise and thank God for this amazing grace that softened my rugged heart and planted living hope in me. There are also many people who helped me grow in faith, but I give special thanks to my family, who sacrificed a lot to support me and showed me a living example of love and humility of Christ.



Jesus is not in the tomb; he has risen. He rose from the dead to give us victory over death and eternal life in his kingdom. The resurrection hope is still alive in many hearts and expanding through the people who live out this hope by loving others sacrificially and showing them humility of Jesus. But very often, we may be mourning over the empty tomb like the women or disappointed at our own dead hope, not recognizing the risen Christ. But as Jesus walked with the two disciples, listened to them, and imparted understanding of his resurrection to them, he is willing to be with us today and lead us to the victory and eternal life he earned for us by conquering death. One last question remains: "What is my life like after that?" Jessica will be up here soon to share with us our lives as witnesses to his resurrection. Let's pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment