Friday, April 14, 2017

Joanna Yu Easter 2017 Message


No Confidence in the Flesh
Philippians 3: 1-14                              
KV: 10-11 “ I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,  and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.”
Hi, I’m Joanna. I’m a senior at Lincoln Park High School. And I am also part of Chicago HBF. I just want to say congrats! You guys have made it to the last message. I thank God for the words he has spoken to you guys through Deborah, Olivia, Jessica, and Joanne’s messages. If we look back, we thought of the death and resurrection through Deborah, Olivia, and Jessica. Yesterday we saw the importance of the Gospel and grace in Joannes message. Today, we will focus on a passage also written by Paul except this time in Philippians, a passage that looks at one person, Paul, and how he lives his life according to what he gained through the gospel. Through this passage I pray that the Holy Spirit may come and speak into your hearts. I’m gonna say a quick prayer.

Part 1: No Confidence in the flesh (1-7)
            Paul’s letter in Philippians is a letter to the church in Philippi. He writes first as an encouragement to them due to the pressure and large influence against the word surrounding the church. Chapter three of Philippians is part of Paul’s letter that serves mainly as a testimony to the power of resurrection faith over his life and through this passage, Paul talks about not putting confidence in our flesh. From verse 1 we know that this is not the first time Paul has written to the church and that there is this importance in the repetition and reminder of gospel lessons. He tells the church to “Rejoice in the Lord!” as not only a greeting to them but also an encouragement of where to get joy from and a subtle reminder that this is the basis of fulfillment. From then Paul warns the church in verse 2 to Watch out for those dogs, those evildoers, those mutilators of the flesh.”  Because of the occurrence of false prophets, persecutors of the church and those who were bound to legalistic practices. Instead he encourages them that they should not be bound by legalism.  if ________ could read verse 3. “For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh.”  Through verse 3, Paul reminds the church of Philippi that they are more than qualified to claim that they are genuine Christians because they do not rely on practices of the flesh which wereback in the olden days, symbolized by circumcision. Rather that they serve God and are driven by the spirit. That among everything they do not put any assurance of their faith on practices of the flesh. Paul then uses himself as an example of how limited we become if we value everything on our flesh because, if you look back to his life when he was Saul, he was perfect in regards to the law. Verses 5 and 6 exemplify the qualifications that Paul had and it reads “Circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.”  Paul had dedicated his life thus far to perfecting his accomplishments to be exemplary and on the basis of the law his faith was close to perfect. Paul was qualified from the very beginning of his birth and carries forward these qualifications into his adulthood. Imagining someone like Paul today seems a little difficult but if you think about it, Paul’s situation correlates to someone who is good at everything. To put it into more realistic terms, it would be someone who has everything. Like someone who seems to have everything, and I mean everything together. (MENTION SOMEONE). Yet Paul discloses to us in verse 7 that even with the utmost qualifications he possessed, all of it meant absolutely nothing to him and because they meant nothing, he gave them up. Think of that. He gave up comfort, stability, and everything else that he expected would give him a sense of satisfaction. What could possibly have made Paul give those things up?


Part 2: Knowing Christ (8-11)
While we might view it as a huge loss for Paul, in reality it really wasn’t and he lets us know in verse 8. Can I have _____ read verse 8.  “What is more I consider everything a loss for the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.” Paul makes it clear to mention that what became his gain was knowing Christ, and because of that he was able to consider everything else that he had so far as garbage. It wasn’t his higher education or pursuit of Christians but it was that he was able to say he was striving to know Christ which was worth so much more. What Paul is mentioning here in verse 8 is that realization of Jesus as his most basic necessity, that his entire life’s work amounts to nothing, brings no lasting fulfillment, and cannot and will not do anything for him if it is not rooted in his strive to know Christ. It seems that the most common misunderstanding of Paul’s mention of “knowing Christ” is that it is confused with “knowing of Christ.” These are two very different things. Knowing of Christ is the knowledge you have about him, alike the knowledge you have of any other person. It requires no personal connection, no relationship, and realistically never progresses past the relationship of two acquaintances. What Paul had was very different, Paul knew Christ. What that meant was that he talked to Jesus, got to know the in’s and out’s, and if you want to think about it in a humanistic sense, he got to know what Jesus liked and disliked, his favorite things to do, his favorite prayer activity, and what made him passionate, all the characteristics of genuinely getting to know someone. In verse 9 we learn even more so that getting to know Christ is only possibly through the faith that was made possible in when Christ was crucified and resurrected. Paul makes it very clear to mention that there is no more reliance on the law, but instead there should be reliance on faith. (MENTION BEST FRIEND)
Paul’s confession in verse 10 hits two major points that he wanted to point out to the church in Philippi. One, that he views Christ as a necessity and because he does so he is able to assert with confidence “I want to know Christ.”  Paul mentions here that he wants to know Christ. Paul WANTED to know Christ. When we want something, we get it. Whether that be a candy bar from the store or to do well on a test . And this want that Paul describes is as simple as that. As simple as spending time with Christ in prayer. As simple as talking to him and as simple as reading a verse a day. Because Paul declared that he wanted to know Christ, his heart was in the right place to pursue it.  Second, he was able to strive to know who Christ was through the second half of verse 10 and verse 11 which states “to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his suffer, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.”  Clearly, what Paul meant was not that he was going to physically die or to get crucified just to go through what Jesus went through. But what he meant by the participation is Jesus’ sufferings was the hardships he faced. Through those hardships he is able to come closer and closer to Christ and as result closer to knowing Christ. So what Paul describes to us in verses 10 and 11 is his confident claim in wanting to know Christ and the process in which to do so. Paul’s very clear intention to know Christ motivates his entire life and it is only possible through the power of Jesus’ resurrection.



Part 3: Pressing on toward the goal (12-14)
            Paul’s testimony of the changed life he lives does not end there, his encouragement to the church in Philippi as well as to us is to press on toward the goal. He tells us that even after he gave everything up, after he developed this passion to know Christ that he is not at the goal yet. Fear not though. In verse 12 he says “Not that I have obtained this or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold for which Christ Jesus has took hold for me.” Paul is motivated to press on because that is exactly what Jesus did for Paul. However, what is the goal that Paul is referring to. The goal that he mentions and motivates us to look to is to be able to fully know Christ. This might seem extremely difficult because we are limited in our abilities to know the full extent of Jesus; however this is exactly why Paul is encouraging the church in Philippi. He tells them how he has changed and how he keeps pressing on toward what he now is able to say is his true goal. Verse 13b reads “But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.”  Now you might think that if we cannot ever know the full extent of our Christ Jesus, than what is the point of Paul trying to encourage us. The whole pursuit is futile. Right then, Paul knows just the right thing to say and does so in verse 14. Can _____ read it. “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” This is the reason for the pursuit. Without knowing there is an eternal prize there is no comfort in the hardships that we go through on earth. But we do have a goal and the result of which is our prize, that is our calling to heaven to be reunited with our Lord in an eternal life. This “eternal perspective” of our life and the hardships that occur in them give us hope to press on as Paul says. The prize that we gain is heavenward and thus it lasts forever. What we gain on this earth will only take you so far and because of that we look forward to what will last forever and what God has called us for. Our citizenship is heaven. Meaning that as citizens we have an essential belonging to a particular community.  More importantly our belonging is in heaven and not on this world. This is our comfort, that we are not here to live for what this world has to offer but our finality belongs with our Savior Jesus. And because of this fact, our motivation is to life that focuses on developing a relationship with God.
In the same way that Paul was motivated to press on, we should also be encouraged that despite
hardship and struggle that our pursuit of Christ is not futile by any means. That to know Christ is to live a life that is constantly motivated by our strive to know Christ.  That by the death and resurrection, through our faith on the basis of the spirit, that we WILL be reunited with God in heaven and when that happens we will have arrived at our goal, our goal to know Jesus our Lord and Savior.

Reflection
So, flashback to these last 3 months.  I felt as though I have been working so hard to gain some type of success, to make me feel like I was worth something more. I had channeled my inner Saul and decided that I was tired of feeling so less than compared to those around me. I tried so hard to succeed in school and I remember very vividly working so hard on this one Chemistry test that I had coming up. I had made study guides, practiced problems, and reviewed endlessly. Yet when I got the grade back I saw that I had completely failed it. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, and yes it is one Chem test but it was difficult being told that the one subject that I thought I was good at, the one subject that I liked, was just another reminder of what I was not good at. What came about in the months after was a vicious cycle of failure despite my effort, limited success, and not long after, feelings of bitterness, hate for those around me, and a sinking feeling of being completely worthless. Somehow I had made up in my mind that my worth was completely dependent on what I was able to succeed at, what successes I achieved and that is what fueled my everyday mentality. Each failure was met with a mindset that said I would not be good enough; I would not be worth enough until I achieved something. I got it stuck in my head that God wanted only my success. That failure is not in his dictionary and that to please him and to please myself that I had to gain value in terms of this world. When the semester ended God blessed me and in his accordance I was able to get straight A’s for the first time since like 7th grade and a couple months later I got accepted into a top university and while it seemed like I gained so much, I felt absolutely nothing. It seems so stupid to complain about such a great success but in reality when it seemed like I had achieved so much, is when I was reminded even more so how worthless I still felt. I felt like I hadn’t actually gained anything of worth, that no matter how many A’s I might have gotten on a report card that I wouldn’t be as good as the next semester. That even though Northwestern was such a great school and that so many people regarded it highly, that it was just another school. I couldn’t celebrate even though I was expected to be overwhelmingly ecstatic about my situation. This expectation of my self-worth to suddenly go up like points on a scale faltered and instead of feelings of bitterness overcame me. I was left completely at a loss. I expected fulfillment and happiness and yet again I was left unsatisfied and full of frustration of why. But Paul lets us know that God wants the exact opposite. Paul, while perfect in the legalistic manner, was nowhere near perfect in what God actually wanted from him and his faith. What He wanted from Paul was this pursuit to know Christ and that is what Paul found. 
Its funny because I went into this message writing completely excited and ready to learn a new word and be able to share it with HBF and MBF. Soon after the message writing process began, I felt an overwhelming feeling of dread. I was no longer enthused, I was behind the schedule every week and within a span of 2 weeks I felt completely unmotivated to share any type of message and especially not on a passage that had no connection to me whatsoever. Paul was cool, he was admirable, and he gave up his accomplishments to seek Christ. Objectively speaking, Paul was encouraging. And while I was 100% sure it encouraged thousands of people over hundreds and thousands of years, I, myself, found no source of encouragement. Each week I became less encouraged and with the dread of writing and sharing a message piling up, it was purely a source of stress and nothing more.
While sharing testimonies within our senior message group one Friday, Miriam, an HBF leader told me something along the lines of “I think you just need to wrestle with the Word.” And while my sounded really helpful, I still left the meeting feeling underprepared, under qualified, lacking any ability, and confused about how I would go about “wrestling” with God’s word. While I would like to say that something in me changed, it didn’t. I spent that long weekend with those same feelings. On the following Monday, I decided I should just muscle through it and at least have something even if it wasn't good. That evening I had what I would like to call a little scuttle with God’s word. God had made it very clear to me as he did to the women in Olivia’s message and the disciples in Jessica’s message and I was able to see where Paul was coming from and that what was important was the shift that he had when viewing what were gains to him. What Paul considered as his wins and losses, his priorities, his values all came down to his will to know Christ. And consequently, it made me question what I considered as my values and priorities especially considering my confident claim that I am a Christian. Even though I knew that the right answer was to “Know Christ”, it really was not. My first realization was that my priority was not in knowing God and that my life was not motivated by my pursuit to know Christ.
Fast forward to later that week, I had actually wrestled with the word. I had sat down to write the second half of my message and for some reason I still felt unmotivated despite having my first realization earlier that week. While reading V.10 again I felt a sense of rebuke. God asked me why I had put all my confidence in my own abilities and into my own I accomplishments. Why had I amounted my worth to what I could accomplish by my flesh alone. Thinking back to that one Chem test, God was saying here, this is what failure feels like. Then in reference to NU here this is what this world’s vision of success feels like. And while of course they are different in the initial feelings I had toward them, they both quickly ended and as result I was left in the same place. This is what God wanted to say, that here is failure and success in this world. But what good is any of it if through it all, you don’t have me. What I realized was that I was not looking at God. God had made it very clear as to what I was missing and why I had felt no sense of happiness in my “success.” Our souls are from God and because they are, they cannot be satisfied with the things of this earth. That even if I achieved the bucket list of accomplishments Paul had, that is will never fill the desire that I actually want.
And while it wasn’t as graceful and a complete turn around like Paul, I ended up in the same place as him. God brought me back to him while I was bitter and completely lost in what I thought mattered to me. He reminded me that none of this matters, shattering this idea that all I had and could possibly offer was only good if it was based on the limited success this world offers. Yet, NONE of it matters because what is my everything is Him. What my everything is, is God. Every time I was brought back to God I was reminded that what mattered was not the small gains I got through this world but that the greatest gain I have is through the gospel. That because of Jesus’ death and resurrection I can confidently say, like Paul, that I want to know Christ. That I want to walk with him and talk to him and like Jesus who suffered, to live proclaiming this gain despite the possible persecution, nonetheless living a life walking with my Lord and Savior. And because of this I can again with confidence strive towards this prize in heaven for which God has called me.
Conclusion:    
            While I have this confidence in saying I want to know Christ, it was a very difficult process full of tears, hardships, but most importantly peace that I know can be found through Christ. However, it is worth it all, Christ is worth it all and because of that I encourage you guys to find why you want to know Christ. If you don’t want to know Christ, why not.  I pray that we may experience what Paul testifies about through Philippians 3, to be able to live out a life centered on the pursuit of knowing Christ. That each one of us may be able to recognize the overwhelming worth and gain we have in Christ in comparison to what the world has to offer and in doing so may be able to confess with confidence as Paul did that “I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.”

No comments:

Post a Comment